ACADEMIC: Frog Street Press Pre K (Dual Language)
Frog Street Pre-K is a comprehensive, research-based program that integrates instruction across developmental domains and early learning disciplines. The program is engaging for both teachers and children and is easy to implement!
The cornerstones of the program are:
- An extensive integration of theme, disciplines, and domains
- Social and Emotional development includes Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline ®
- Differentiated instruction
- Equity of English and Spanish materials and instruction (dual language)
- Joyful approach to learning
Frog Street Pre-K (FSPK) is a high quality, research-based curriculum organized into ten skills domains that support integration of curriculum and builds connections between and among all disciplines.
Highlights include innovations to produce measurable gains in student achievement:
- The authorship team of FSPK brings a wealth of expertise in the field of early childhood classroom experience, social and emotional intelligence, brain development, literacy, second language learning, STEM practices and cultural sensitivity to the instruction and materials in the curriculum. Led by senior author, Dr. Pam Schiller, the curriculum integrates content and embeds current research based best practices through instructional strategies.
- Another innovation is the inclusion of Conscious Discipline® strategies to support social and emotional intelligence and, in turn, cognitive performance. FSPK is the sole curriculum integrating this proven program into the daily instruction.
- Differentiated learning strategies and materials for a full range of learners include grouping strategies and scaffolding. Adaptations for Young Learners Teacher Guide, exclusive to FSPK, is an additional teacher guide targeting literacy, math, and integrated learning centers for learners not ready for the four year old program.
- Instruction in FSPK supports multicultural relevancy with materials and resources for languages other than Spanish. Dr. Alma Flor Ada, senior author, includes the importance of developing the home language, acquiring literacy naturally and focuses on cultural sensitivity throughout the curriculum.
- Equality of materials and instruction in English and Spanish is a distinctive feature of FSPK including language sensitive adaptations and cultural sensitivity. Sensitivity to letter knowledge and, particularly, phonological awareness is evident in the sequence of instruction.
- English Language Learner instruction in FSPK incorporates research in second language acquisition with classroom strategies for the Natural Approach, Total Physical Approach and Cooperative Learning. Materials and resources include pronunciation keys for five languages, full color photographs and strategies at point of use for whole group, small group and learning center activities.
- FSPK features distinct home/school/community connections linked to thematic units and the scope and sequence. Dr. Patricia Edwards, author and past IRA President, contributed research-based best practices on family involvement in the curriculum. Family Connections resources are available for print or online.
- Innovative approaches in FSPK incorporate current research based instruction for literacy included in the National Early Literacy Panel and Beyond, 2013. In addition, the instructional models in FSPK target strategies to ensure long term memory, alertness, and information processing based on brain science research. FSPK also incorporates STEM education, an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- FSPK provides innovative technology for students with Frog Street Pre-K Interactive Software which contains over 100 Spanish and English activities in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, written expression, listening comprehension, vocabulary development and math skills and concepts. Software activities align with weekly instruction for sustained practice of skills. Learning extends to the home with eBooks of all the literature titles in FSPK.
- Innovative technology for teachers offers online resources which include interactive lesson planning, teacher guides and eBooks. The FSPK Digital Online Library guides instruction and is easily accessible from computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Frog Street Press, Inc. is focused on high quality instruction and materials in the field of early childhood. Frog Street Pre-K was developed by early childhood experts in every domain of development to create an intentional and integrated curriculum.
For more information, visit Frog Street Curriculum
SOCIAL EMOTIONAL: Conscious Discipline by Dr. Becky Bailey
Conscious Discipline® is evidence-based, and was named a national model for character education by the Character Education Partnership in 2005. Conscious Discipline® is a comprehensive classroom management program and a social-emotional curriculum. It is based on current brain research, child development information, and developmentally appropriate practices. It facilitates early childhood teachers in creating “school families” where children and teachers can reclaim joy, helpfulness and caring as a foundation for the educational process. Conscious Discipline® assists teachers in developing their inner life, empowering them to transform conflict into teaching moments for themselves, their colleagues, and the children and families they serve. Research conducted in schools and centers using Conscious Discipline® shows that it decreases aggression, increases academic scores on state tests, decreases impulsivity/hyperactivity in “difficult” children, increases collegiality of staff, and creates a positive school climate.
To learn more about Conscious Discipline please click here: Conscious Discipline
CHRISTIAN: Hands On Bible Curriculum
Your child will enjoy learning bible stories with easy, child-friendly language, and fun play that helps them enjoy and remember God’s Word. Children will participate in faith building activities, like simple songs, quick crafts, scrumptious snack ideas, games, service projects kids can do, and meaningful prayers. Teachers use unique games, snacks, and crafts to help kids learn about God. Kids retain more by interacting with a lesson instead of just hearing it. Discovering the Bible will be a fun, hands-on experience that gets kids excited about coming to school.